- Our Blog
- Contact Us
How to Link Your Blog to Facebook
Recently I wanted to link our VMT Facebook Fan Page to our company blog. By extension, I thought it would probably not be a bad idea to link my personal blog postings to my personal page. However, figuring out how to do this, especially after Facebook revamped its look again, was deceptively difficult. So I thought I would share this process with everybody. Special thanks to Sahana Mysore and her article for sending me down the right path, although the directions are somewhat different now as a result of the new layout.
The trick to getting your blog into Facebook is to use the News feature, which allows you to link to any RSS feed. To do this for your Fan Page:
- From your page, click on the Edit Page link. I assume you are logged into Facebook as an Admin for the Page:
Note that the new layout changes even how you get to your page to administer it. In order to get there you now need to use the link located on the left hand side of the page, under your profile picture, for Ads and Pages:
- On the next screen you have a bunch of boxes to control the settings for various components of your page. Scroll down to the Applications section and locate the block for Notes. Click the link to Edit it:
- This will take you to the Edit Notes page. On this page on the right-hand side is a box for Notes Settings with an option to Import a blog:
- After clicking the link you will be taken to a screen where you can input the URL of your blog:
At this point I actually had some trouble. I first tried using "http://www.vmtllc.com/blog" and received an error that the Import Failed and that they couldn't find a fed using the URL provided:
To fix this you need to link to the actual feed for your blog. This can generally be found by scrolling down to the bottom of your blog and locating the RSS icon:
You can right-click on this and click Copy Shortcut in IE or Copy link address in Chrome or Firefox to get the actual link to your feed:
(Internet Explorer) (Chrome)
You can then just use CTRL+V to paste the link to your feed into where it says Web URL.
However, I subsequently had a problem where it still was returning an error where it indicated that it could not find a feed at the URL supplied. I ultimately resolved this by editing the address to drop the "http://" part and simply submitted the URL: "www.vmtllc.com/blog/feed". This finally worked for me. Edit your URL accordingly, check the box to agree to the terms, and then click Start Importing.
- If all goes well it will retrieve all of your blog postings and allow you to preview them:
Confirm that everything looks good and then go ahead and click the link to Confirm Import. As I've said, note that this will add all of your blog postings to your page, so be aware that if you have a lot of blog postings it may be a lot of information that gets posted to your page.
These instructions work if you want to link your blog to your Fan Page. If you want to link your personal blog to your personal Facebook page the steps are nearly identical, with the exception of how to get to the Notes settings.
- This is deceptive because you might think you should get to where you need to go by clicking on the Notes link under your profile picture. This will not get you where you need to go. Instead, click on the Account link in the upper right-hand corner and scroll down to click on the link for Application Settings:
- From here you will get a list of all your applications. You will be tempted to click the Edit Settings link for the Notes application, but this is again misleading. Rather, click the link for the Notes application itself:
- This will take you to the page for the Notes application itself, where now you will see the box on the upper-right for the Notes Settings and the link to Import a blog. From here the directions are the exact same as for the Fan Page above.
Hope that you find this helpful, let me know your feedback!